Monday, April 15, 2013

Visit Spokane - Tourism Awards

The Visit Spokane folks have asked me to co-host the annual Spokane Tourism Awards again this year. I don’t know why they have asked me again this year, but I do know why they asked me in the first place.  They went through their collective rolodexes, considered lots of folks, narrowed it down to the right one, and then asked.  This, however, is the important part; I just happened to walk into a meeting with Jeanna Hofmeister as she was getting off the phone with the person they selected who had called to cancel.  Left without time to find someone else, I got the job.  That my friends, is why they say it is better to be lucky than to be good.

Although in this case, I’m not so sure how lucky I am.  I tend to reveal personally embarrassing details on stage every year.  A couple of years ago I said that I had my bald head buffed to a shine just for the occasion.  Two years ago I revealed that head buffing wasn’t enough so I got a full body wax. Not only was that embarrassing to reveal, but it hurt.  A lot. The only good thing about it was that I had a Groupon.

Last year, however, I think I really hit my stride.  I don’t recall revealing anything too embarrassing.  I mostly stayed to the script so that Jeanna kicked me very few times behind the podium and, in a mark of true success, after I left the stage I was approached by a woman who offered me her card.  

No, it’s not what you think.  She told me that she wanted to talk to me about doing some MC or announcing work. That made me realize just how valuable I was.  The fact that I never heard from her again didn’t deter me.  I went straight to the folks at Visit Spokane and demanded to be paid double what I had been paid the year before. 

They readily agreed.  I said, you realize that’s something like a 50% increase, right?  They gave me a funny look, but said they would gladly do that.

As a result, I learned two important lessons – first, when you think you are worth it, you need to make that clear.  And second, when they teach you in math class how to multiply by zero, you should pay more attention.

In any case, I hope you will come to the Visit Spokane Tourism Awards, honoring people who make a difference to our out-of-town guests - Tourism Awards Information - http://www.visitspokane.com/RSVP/?action=details&eventid=712.  

No comments:

Post a Comment