Friday, January 25, 2013

Twitter Followers (@RiverCityRed)

We have a Twitter account for the brewery, that, like this blog, mostly hits on beer and bikes, but also picks up a few other tidbits (find us here - @RiverCityRed).  At this point, we have mostly been learning about twitter and seeing how it fits into the social media landscape and how we can eventually spread word about our beer, the places you can have a pint, the stuff we are supporting, etc.  Nothing ground breaking about that, but a slowish process of learning and exposing ourselves (no, not that way) to people who might be interested in following us. 

As a result, however, I was thoroughly entertained to get an e-mail from a company that will sell me twitter followers.  It's not a tutorial on how to get followers, or lessons about social media, or even targeted approaches to build followers - nope, it's just a website with four items for sale - Facebook likes, Instagram Followers, YouTube views and Twitter Followers.  You click on the one you want and then pick your item.  Twitter follower pricing is as follows: 10,000 followers - $24.99; 50,000 followers - $89.99; and, for you real value shoppers out there, 100,000 followers - $149.99. 

Oh, I get it now.  The value of my twitter account is NOT finding people who want to know about our brewery and beer, and share a few things along the way, instead it's about impressing everyone with how many followers I have regardless of how little it means.  I was so going the wrong direction with that.  Now I get it and will be all over it.

So, tomorrow, when my twitter followership jumps from the low three digits (my mom started at least 75 of those accounts), to tens of thousands, we will both know why and we can feel good about the ability to buy damn near anything in this great land of ours!  Now you can celebrate #DrinkLocal with me and my one hundred thousand one-hundred thirty-four favorite people!

1 comment:

  1. At this point, we have mostly been http://executweet.com/ learning about twitter and seeing how it fits into the social media landscape and how we can eventually spread word about our beer

    ReplyDelete