Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Progress!

Yes, I checked first thing again today and no, no approval yet, but I am keeping my fingers crossed that tomorrow will be the day.

No, I have no rational reason for thinking that, but I can hope, can't I?

On other fronts, however, we have set this Friday, 12/7, for our first test run of the brewhouse.  No, Mr. Liquor Enforcement Person, we are not "making beer", but we are going to fire up the boiler, run some base grain through the mash tun and boil down some wort just to see how things work.  Our head brewer, Cody, will be testing extraction rates from our grain, but we will also be doing a bunch of other basic stuff like seeing if the boiler and hot liquor tank work fine; see if the fittings are all tight; checking on the function of pumps and connectors; seeing if seals are all in place; making sure drains don't have construction debris hidden in them; and basically just seeing if any problems arise or anything jumps out.

We don't have any yeast on the premises, so we can't turn the wort into beer, but we will move it through the various stations to make sure things work all along the way from the brewhouse to the fermentation tanks to the conditioning tanks, checking on parts, pieces and pumps at each place.  Fun, huh?

Actually, it is a lot of work and we will use several hundred dollars of grain in this test, but there is no better way to make sure everything is working.  And that, my friends, is the next step to getting to our first brew day.  And you know what comes after that, right?  Yes, BEER.

I'm excited.  I hope you will be too.


No comments:

Post a Comment